You’ve heard all sorts of hoopla about the internet, and how it affects your business, but have you taken any action? How many customers are you missing out on simply because your business isn’t listed on the world’s most popular search engine, Google? Those days are over, and your shift to promoting, and showcasing your business online starts today with Google My Business!
At this point, you’re thinking two things.
- What in the world is Google My Business?
- Why in the world should I care?
Google My Business is a feature that Google offers to businesses that puts them right on the search engine map (literally) as well as Google’s organic search results, and Google+. The reason you NEED to care about Google My Business (GMB for short) is because this feature makes it unbelievably easy for customers, and clients to quickly and easily find your business no matter which device they are using.
This fantastic tool goes beyond the old simplistic features such as including your hours of operation, and your phone number. Google has made it very simple for everyone to navigate and use this feature; users can even find driving directions, or call you directly from the listing. Best part of it all? It’s FREE! The initial investment of creating, and setting up a Google My Business account can yield some amazing returns.
Alright, you’ve made it this far, let’s get your company or business listed with Google! To get started, the first order of business is to navigate Google’s new business page as shown in the picture below.
By clicking the “START NOW” button, you’ll be prompted with the following screen…
- Simple stuff, enter the name of your business
- Next, you’ll be prompted to fill this location form
- Pick your location on the map
- Users will be able to see your business location on Google Maps as well
- Name the type of business that you run (i.e – carpet cleaning, hvac, dental office, toy store, etc)
- You can add your phone number here to add a contact method
- You can also add your business address
- After you fill everything you’ll see this screen, simply hit “Continue”
- On this interface, you’re able to add and edit photos, phone numbers, hours of operation, business addresses, and virtual tours
- Once the progression bar reaches 100% then you’re fully finished with the setup process and can show off your awesome business listing
- You can make changes at any time by adding new photos, changing your location, etc
Google My Business setup is now complete! You can now go to sleep knowing that people who are looking for your business will find it, no matter what time of day they might be looking for it. Update this page on a semi-regular basis with new photos, and/or any major changes that may occur within your business (i.e hours of operation changing) An up-to-date, and strong online presence ensures potential customers that you’re on top of your game.